Review of Don Knotts Reluctant Hero Pack (The Ghost And Mr. Chicken / The Reluctant Astronaut / The Shakiest Gun In The West / The Love God?) (1969)
A collection of four of Don Knotts movies from the 1960’s—the best known is The Ghost and Mr. Chicken but all four provide solid laughs. The most unusual is The Love God? – a satire on American culture’s preoccupation with sex, the so-called sexual revolution, and American society. In short, it’s a collection of four very funny Don Knotts comedies for less than $10.00. Who could ask for more?
- The Ghost And Mr. Chicken (1966)
- Starring Don Knotts, Joan Staley, Liam Redmond, Dick Sargent, Skip Homeier. A typesetter (Don Knotts) for a small town newspaper pursues his dream of becoming a big-time reporter by spending a night in an alleged haunted house.
- The Reluctant Astronaut
- Starring Don Knotts, Leslie Nielsen, Joan Freeman, Jesse White, Jeanette Nolan. Synopsis Don Knotts is Roy Fleming, a small town kiddie-ride operator who is deathly afraid of heights. After learning that his father has signed him up for the space program, Roy reluctantly heads for Houston, only to find out upon arriving that his job is a janitor, not an astronaut. Anxious to live up to the expectations of his domineering father, Roy manages to keep up a facade of being an astronaut to his family and friends. When NASA decides to launch a layperson into space to prove the worthiness of a new automated spacecraft, Roy gets the chance to confront his fears.
- The Shakiest Gun In The West
- Starring Don Knotts, Barbara Rhoades, Jackie Coogan, Don ‘Red’ Barry, Ruth McDevitt. Synopsis Jesse W. Haywood graduates from dental school in Philadelphia in 1870 and goes west “to fight oral ignorance.” Meanwhile stagecoach robber Penelope “Bad Penny” Cushing is offered a pardon if she will track down a ring of gun smugglers. She tricks the bungling Haywood into a fictitious marriage as a disguise, and he becomes the heroic “Doc the Haywood” after he guns down “Arnold the Kid” and performs other exploits with Penny’s help (unbeknown to him or anyone else).
- The Love God?
- Starring Don Knotts, Anne Francis, Edmond O’Brien, James Gregory, Maureen Arthur. Synopsis: Abner Audubon Peacock (Don Knotts) is the publisher of a bird-watcher’s magazine which is converted into a girlie mag by an unscrupulous operator Osborn Tremaine (Edmond O’Brien).
Editorial review of Don Knotts 4 Movie Reluctant Hero Pack (The Ghost And Mr. Chicken /The Reluctant Astronaut / The Shakiest Gun In The West / The Love God?) (1969), courtesy of Amazon.com
He’s one of the most popular and admired funnymen of all time, a master of comic timing and physical humor. Now four of the classic films starring the delightful Don Knotts are available on DVD for the first time in this fun-filled collector’s set. After catapulting to national fame as the often impossible but ever lovable Deputy Barney Fife on TV’s The Andy Griffith Show, Knotts set out to conquer the silver screen in a series of unforgettable feature films. Now four of these hilarious farces are brought together in this amazing collection that keeps the laughs coming.